Seeing ministry as grace (repost from Estonia blog)

This morning as I am sitting down to have my quiet time (and) to also prepare for my small group discussion on Ephesians, God showed me something really cool. I thought I would share :). We are, this week, in Ephesians 4:1-16, where Paul is transitioning from (in my honest opinion) one of the best descriptors of our high calling, position, and value in Christ into the practical "how do you apply this in your world?" section. This should be a cool section, because we as guys are into action even though I love the "look at who you really are" stuff :).

So, I'm reading through this section and I get to verse 7, which says: "But to each one of usgrace has been given as Christ apportioned it..."

And then describes our calling to be unified and to reflect Him through our gifts.

Earlier in this letter, Paul uses the word "grace" in a very similar way:

"Surely you have heard about the administration of God's grace that was given to me for you..." 3:2,

"I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power." 3:7

Same word. Same meaning. Not grace = salvation and I get a cool relationship with Jesus and go to Heaven when I die... but something else.

Here's my thought... or at least how I felt God speaking to me... God has given me (and you if you know Him and are called according to His purpose) the grace (gift) of getting to participate in what He's doing in the world. That, in fact, the ministry (aka - work) that He's got you doing is in fact a gift of grace and not a "job." That was the context that Paul used the word grace to mean in chapter 3 and by all context is the purpose of the word that he uses to spur us on in chapter 4. Furthermore, the focus of this letter is not on salvation per-se, but themanifestation of salvation in the life of the believer.

What does that mean? Well for starters, that going to Estonia to serve High School students, volunteering in Upstreet, and showcasing Christ through my life is not "work" but is instead aprivilege that God has given me, which He has already empowered me to do. It is as much a part of my joy in Christ as the cool, warm-and-fuzzy stuff I get to do like sing and hang out with my friends. Thinking out loud, it also has to be a cure for ministry burnout... because generally I get burned out by what I "have" to do, and when ministry becomes a "job" or something that I am "volunteering" for, then my attitude tends to reflect that. However, if I see it for what it really is... God's grace that's been given to me... I can do all of these things with joy because I am living out my calling and participating with Him in reflecting who He is to the world.

That's my epiphany for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace