And then there was silence

I read ahead a little in my quiet time this morning, and the verse I read ahead to caught my attention...

"When he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour" - Revelation 8:1

Don't ask me why I'm doing my devotions in Revelation... I'm loving it.  This book is one that adds context to the world we live in, because it shows that God's plan triumphs admist all of the life we face.

It also gives us a glimpse into the reality that we don't see.  The reality that in light of eternity, is more important than the one that we can.

And in Heaven, there is...

Singing
Awe
Loud shouting
Worship
Unbridled adoration of our God and Savior

The first set of revelations are of seven seals, each being opened reveals something new about the ushering in of God's ultimate close to history.  Each of these seals is increasingly more awesomely broken than the other.  And in fact, the saints had to be sealed before the final seventh seal was broken.  So you'd expect something tremendous to occur when it's broken... like a huge nuclear blast, a 1,000 foot dragon, I don't know... you'd expect something climatic.

And this is what happened...

Heaven is silent.

For an entire half hour (Actually John said "about," so I don't think he was checking his sundial)

That was awe-inspiring.

That also says a LOT about how big of a deal the celebration of God in Heaven is.  It's huge... and the most climatic thing that could happen with the breaking of that seal is that Heaven stands in silence.

When Heaven is silent.  It is noticed.

It makes me think that Heaven is probably going to be more like a U2 concert than some of the scenes that we see in our imagery today.  The peaceful by and by... perhaps there is some of that in the new Heaven and new Earth, but the theme of Heaven is the party.  The celebration of God.  Being raptured in who He is and pouring out our adoration on Him.

The question I have for myself and you my readers is... if that type of adoration of God is the huge, ginormous, big deal in eternity that we are looking forward to... are we getting on board on that now?  Because the celebration of God, what He's done for us, and relishing in His favor of us doesn't start for us in the throne room.  It starts in our hearts.

Are you?  Am I... Ready for the party?

Because Heaven is only going to be silent... for about a half an hour :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace