Brief musings from the past 6 weeks

I just got back from spending time at Taco Mac with a buddy of mine; watching the demise of the Phillies in Game 5 (in which I'm sure all of Atlanta rejoiced!).  Wrapping up some home chores I took a look at my blog and realized that I haven't posted since August!

Shame on me!  I guess even a great writer (in my own mind) needs to take a break every now and then.  

But, given that I've been away from my blog, can you imagine the pressure of the "first next" post... is it going to be awesome?  That's a lot of pressure for someone who likes to write.  

So... to take the pressure (sort of) off... and because I've had blog thoughts in my mind... I'll break the ice by providing a short synopsis of some thoughts I've had over the last 6 weeks... so my next post, whether snarky or serious... will be a little more pressure-free.  
  • (Thanks to my groups director Mark Shull - the man - for giving me this)  Yes, Peter sunk in the water when he took his eyes off Jesus... but you know, Peter took a risk on Jesus and while his eyes were on Jesus miraculous things came out of his life... and besides that, there were 11 "knuckleheads" that stayed in the boat and didn't see God work in their lives but instead stayed on the sidelines.  So - would I rather play it safe and stay in the boat, or take a risk and go out to where Jesus is?
  • There are no shortage of crazy people out there; just ask the manager of the Tin Lizzy's Cantina in Buckhead
  • "Religion" (as a way of earning favor with God as a self-salvation project) is universal, and in trying to earn favor with God through religion you can put any faith label, guru, system, or teaching into that model and live your life by religion... What Jesus offers to us is completely different than it (even religion under the label of "Christianity"), and it requires that we surrender our broken lives in exchange for unearned grace, take up our cross daily, and follow Jesus without having all the answers (other than... He is the One).  This is much more difficult to do than following a system of rules to earn mine and God's favor, and all "religion" operates on that baseline.
  • The Fight Club series is so true.  Our relationships with our family are worth the fight.  Thanks to all of the Willis's and the Kelly's for a great reunion!
  • Here's a tribute to Steve Jobs; men with vision and a willingness to act can change the world... anyone whose life runs on their iPhone knows that too well.  
  • No lead in 2011 is safe as long as the Aggies hold that lead. 
  • God often blesses us in ways that we are not expecting, and when He does so in a way that alters our status quo, it's an opportunity for us to see Him, and not our plans, as what our hearts truly desire and to roll with Him as the architect and author of life. 
  • Mapquest directions, as good as they appear to be, STILL cannot be taken at face value... or else you may end up in Henry County to go to a dinner club at a restaurant in East Atlanta.  
I'm sure there are others, but to quote Forrest Gump... I'm really tired. 

And now I can write my next blog.... 

Sometime.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again