Semi-athletic Yuppie White Guys Moving Company

Have you ever moved and called one of those "two guys and a truck" or the "college hunks hauling junk" moving companies?  I did during my last move, when I moved from the "Post Melrose" (as it was deemed) in Buckhead to my current place in semi-beautiful Sandy Springs.  I remember that when the movers came out, they were some tough looking blue collar dudes that had arms larger than my legs and picked up entire couches by themselves.  I thought about Goliath and what the armies of Israel thought when they shook in fear... these were professionals, they just went in, picked up stuff, put it in the truck, and dropped it off.  It was almost like the way I treat my groceries.

This morning, I got up early and went to help a friend and her roommate move today.  The last time I helped a friend move, it was a pretty quick trip from one apartment to another with a fairly minimal amount of stuff (for a girl).  Today's effort was not quite like that.  We were looking at a serious move, and 10 semi-athletic guys in our friend group showed up to help.  Now, I noticed at the beginning when we were parked that there was among the cars we rode up with:  One Mercedes Benz convertible, one BMW 3-series, and two Acuras (I included mine) among the transportation that the moving crew brought to the party; so somewhere in my head I got to thinking that if we WERE to form our own moving company (don't worry, we all have pretty good white-collar day jobs... hence why we don't have trees trunks for arms), it would be called something like: "Semi-athletic nerdy white guys randomly moving stuff."  I think "Semi-Athletic Yuppie White Guys"  (or SAYWGS) may be more catchy.  

Now, if SAYWGS Moving Company were to come by and move you, what would be the value proposition of this moving effort?  If we were to create a business, how would we compete with the tree-trunk arm dudes?  So, putting my marketing hat on, here's what I would offer to you.

We work cheap
You may pay the Two Dudes Hauling College Junk about $100 per hour to efficiently move your stuff in an hour.  That seems inexpensive but seriously you're paying $50/hour per guy.  I don't pay contractors that do marketing work that kind of cash.

On the other hand, you will get about 10 SAYWGS in your house moving you for the price of about 2 pizzas, a box of cheesy bread, a $13 case of wings, and all of the bottled water in your house.  If you think about that, the labor rate for that effort is somewhere less than a buck an hour.  You'd have to go to a country without any labor laws to find help at that rate.  
You will be entertained
Sure, those Two Guys are all business, but how much fun is that?  If you get SAYWGS to help you move, then you can expect the following does of hilarity to take place.
  • Star Wars will be quoted at least once
  • Someone will fall in the mud and you'll get to take a great Instagram picture for your friends.
  • They will spend quite a bit of time pontificating on how to turn the U-Haul you rented into a real-life game of Tetris (you need an engineer on the crew to make this happen)
  • And someone may actually write a blog about your move once you are done.

SAYWGS are smarter than those other guys
If you want jocks that pick up your stuff and get done in two hours without any enlightenment, then go ahead and pay them... but if you want to hire some semi-muscular nerdy guys you will learn a thing or two... or hear some interesting intellectual chats... for example.
  • I already mentioned the Tetris game in the truck.
  • But in planning the packing and the trip, conversations about centripetal force and the "center curb effect" will happen.  I'm not an engineer so I couldn't tell you what any of this means.
  • You will also get a glimpse into some philosophy, such as:  
"Why don't girls ever factor how heavy something is when they buy it"
"Well, they don't.. but 'it's pretty!!" 
"Yeah, and I'm sure its an excuse to get guys to come and help them move it" (laughter ensues)
  • And of course lots of tips on how to set up your cable modem, which is important if you want to Facebook from your house.
All in all, let's be honest, we SAYWGS aren't professionals.  

As if you needed me to tell you that :-), but we work to serve our friends and because somewhere deep down we can actually get bribed with pizza.  Okay - not really.  But seriously, sometimes you want a bunch of friends to come, be goofballs, and get things done in a semi-efficient manner and create memories than pay someone.

Even though we may have (at the time) been wishing you hired the two dudes with a truck :-)

But if you want, I can come up with the SAYWGS business plan, but I'm not sure we'll make too much profit in money but perhaps in love :-)  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace