Top Memories through the years

This has been a pretty slow year for me for posts to the blog.  I do want to finish out 2014 with a post, and as I think about "what would be the best thing to write to close out 2014?" it dawned on me to recollect on the top memories I've had throughout the years (both good years and not-as-good years).  I have really thought about how precious time is throughout this year, and how we shouldn't waste the moments we've been given.  I also believe that we should take time to look back and remember God's faithfulness to us through our lives, both to thank Him for how He has blessed us but also to remember and look forward to the future knowing that our lives are in His hands.

So, I thought I would close my blog in 2014 with my top 2 moments from the past years - since 2000.  Please enjoy :-)

2014
1. Kenya medical mission trip - getting to meet my sponsor child and being blessed beyond belief in the home visits
2. Two incredible outings with my nieces... one in Atlanta with Melissa and another in Houston taking pictures at the picturesque Rice campus with Annah and Susan.

2013
1. Serving at Passion 2013 in community groups.  There was a moment where students stood up in community group to declare that they had decided to follow Christ and the entire room erupted in applause.  It made my heart incredibly happy to see so many give their lives to Him and even more to see the response from the group.
2.  Savannah 1/2 marathon weekend... great time with friends and breaking the 2 hour mark (FINALLY) for a 13.1.  

2012
1. Being cleared of thyroid cancer and getting a clean bill of health.
T-2. A&M 29, Bama 24 (plus a great hike).  Anyone who was with me on this day knows how happy I was after this game.
T-2. Country Music 1/2 Marathon weekend with the Maxwells and DB.  Such a great weekend and an enjoyable time with being able to witness J&N announcing that Eli was coming into the world, as well as an enjoyable weekend in Nash-vegas.


2011
1.  Estonia Adventure Camp.  Enough said.  And may no video blackmail from karaoke from Helsinki to Tallinn ever come to light.  Nothing scandalous... mind you.  I still won't forget the "pizza begging" challenge either.
2. New Years Eve on Cumberland Island.  Best date ever (so far... trusting God for better yet to come :) )

2010
1. First trip to Ngaamba Kenya!  Life changing experience.  So many memories and friends from that trip.  "I am doing a great work, and I can't come down." 
2. Finishing my first 1/2 marathon in LA and the weekend with Derek and family, especially after going through knee surgery from my training in 2009.

2009
1. Craig & Sam coming up to Atlanta for "mancation" over the July 4th weekend... running with them at the Peachtree Road Race made me decide to sign up for my first half marathon (didn't get to run because of the knee injury) and of course we partied it up over Atlanta for the long weekend.
T-2. Winning the ImageRight "Biggest Loser" contest by losing over 16 pounds in a 2 month span.  
T-2 - Surviving the ImageRight "Boot Camp" - anyone who's been through this will understand :-)

2008
1. Estonia English Camp!  I was going to drop out about a month before the trip because my job at Teradata was eliminated, but God stepped in and told me (not audibly, but I knew) in no uncertain terms that I was supposed to go.  I can't tell you how awesome that week was - I don't think I've seen God work more so in a week than I've seen in that week and I wouldn't have seen it at all if I wasn't willing to trust Him, abandon my security, and obey.  I always talk about this moment when I tell my story with mission teams, small groups, etc. 
2 (a tie) - Whistler Blackcomb ski trip with some really great people, and Boston/NY trip in my "funemployment" period with my brother Chuck after I got my offer from Vertafore (another story of God's provision in 2008).  

2007
1.  Bear Week in Estonia - my first mission trip to Estonia.  I originally went because I wanted to serve in student ministry with the students in Tartu and ended up falling in love with the people there.  I went 4 more times (and counting).  
T-2.  Getting to consult for Pottery Barn in San Francisco for a month (plus)... this may have been the coolest work assignment I've been on (to-date), and working with a couple of foodies in San Francisco did help me cultivate my love for great dining.  Hard work, yes... but got to work with some of the most talented people I've had the privilege of working with in my career in this year and on this project... and sampled some of the best restaurants in the Bay Area. 
T-2 When Buckhead Church opened in Tower Place, on the UpStreet "unveiling" of the new campus a couple sitting in front of me in the worship service they held that afternoon turned to me after we were done and told me they really liked my voice and thought I should try out for the worship team... Well, I did... and I continue to love being on stage leading kids to celebrate Jesus after 7 years of taking a hint from Brad on that afternoon.

2006
1. Croatia mission trip... this was my first international mission trip since 1999 and was the first in many over the last several years.  I really want to return here - this is an beautiful country and the people we met are amazing.
2. The Banff ski trip... may go down so far as the best vacation ever and definitely the best ski trip I've ever been on so far (and a minor "claim to fame" on this trip as well)

2005
1. Getting the call from NCR with an offer to work in their marketing group and move to Atlanta
2. Along with moving to Atlanta, getting plugged in at Buckhead Church and 722.  It was a key turning point in my spiritual foundation after moving from Austin.

2004
1.  Graduating from the Kelley School of Business with my MBA.  What a ride!!!
2.  The post-graduation Carnival cruise.  I took my Dad and it was a really memorable (both in great and "wow, can you believe that??) moments (oh - and there was a hurricane too).

2003
1. The February and March date weekends at IU with the girl I was dating this year.  Not meant to be, but great times.
2.  Being back in Houston over the Summer and interning in consumer marketing with Riviana.  I really enjoyed the learning and the experience (and yes, I still love rice)

2002
1.  No doubt... going home for lunch from work and calling the Indiana admissions department (on Valentines day) expecting to narrow my choice between Rice and SMU and getting news that I got accepted into the Kelley program (obviously I went... Kelley - and IU - is awesome) 
2. I'm going to plead the fifth on the second... It's already in principle been topped and in faith it'll be topped again for real.

2001
1.  Getting a generous Christmas bonus from Dynegy after putting in a tough year.  I got called into a meeting with my manager and the VP to get the news that I was getting a big check.  Yay!
2.  This sounds sappy, but I adopted Sherlock this year (he's my obnoxious grey tabby cat)

2000 
1. Passion One Day 2000 at Shelby Farms near Memphis (I was volunteering with a group from HFBC Houston in Resources for that event)...  Another thing I tell in my story in small group... God got my attention during a talk at this conference about whose I was... one year to the day after the breakup of my first relationship... and I've never been the same since.  I also met a group volunteering from NorthPoint, and God put the seed in my heart that would eventually have me serving here at Buckhead Church (bet ya' never knew that ;) )
2.  Getting to vacation with my folks at Yosemite and hike the John Muir trail (along with Nevada and Vernal Falls).  If you've never been at Yosemite, I highly recommend it and I really want to go back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again