It doesn't always pay to be cheap

After a *gasp* several month siesta from posting anything to this blog, I have finally found an opportunity to get outside my house (one that is undergoing renovations), sit in an environment that is conducive to bringing out my creative side (a Starbucks), with a laptop that runs on it's battery and isn't demon-possessed (more to come).

This weekend, I finally got tired of suffering with all of this bad technology and bought a new MacBook.  This less than 3 pound beauty has been like a breath of fresh air for me.  I bought my original MacBook in 2007 and instantly fell in love with it (I'd been a PC guy up till then).  The things I had to worry about with PC's (viruses, long load times, drivers, etc.) were non-issues with the Mac.  I do a lot of work with technology on the business side, but I'm not an "IT ticker guy."  I want my computer to work; I don't get under the hood.  Hence, since 2007 I've been a pretty loyal Mac guy.

Eventually, all good things do come to an end.  She still works, but the battery has run its course and she won't work unless she is plugged in, which is not great if your creative spot is a seat in a buzzing coffee shop.  So, a few years ago (it may have been last year), I was in the market to get another laptop and just *gasp* didn't want to spend the money for a new Mac because they are expensive (compared to PC laptops)... and honestly from home I spend most of my time writing, managing my budget on Mint, or connecting with friends (or commenting on a game I'm watching) on Facebook.   I decided then, that I could "get by" with a PC and besides they've improved, right?  So - with my Costco refund check I bought an HP laptop for about $400 and for the first few months was relieved to have a machine that I could take out again.  It wasn't a Mac, but it worked... for a while.

Then, like most PCs, the drives get fragmented, performance slows down, and at the one year mark I find out that one of the ways that HP got the price so low is that they used "freemium" software for stuff like virus protection and such, and I was starting to get pop-up hostage messages asking me to pay a monthly fee to keep things clean.  Eventually I gave in (I think) but even that didn't stop the barrage of spyware, video ads appearing out of nowhere, and the 4 minute boot-up time.  Not to mention that the battery dries out quick.  I was seriously thinking about throwing it out my window and re-enacting the Office Space copier scene with it.  I haven't yet.

So, I cringed when I paid for this guy yesterday, but I knew that what I get from Apple is quality and it is going to last (past experience taught me that).  Sometimes, it doesn't pay to be cheap. For the things that matter (like for a computer that is almost an extension of yourself sometimes), it pays to invest in what will last rather than take shortcuts.  I can say the same thing about cars too... I had bought a couple of used cars before buying my current car (a 2012 Acura that will turn 2 in less than a month) and was constantly worried about something with them... I haven't worried one bit about "Amy" (the name I gave my TSX).  Ed Voyles Acura has been extremely good to me and has maintained it well... Yeah, I'm not a "car tinker guy" either.

Don't get me wrong, I still love to get a bargain.  I have learned however that getting a bargain doesn't always translate into getting value, and that is the difference.  There are some cases (especially with cars, computers, and running shoes... things I rely on) that getting the discount just isn't worth it sometimes (I did get a couple of pairs of Saucony Triumph 11 shoes on clearance though... still got it!).

That's my take... but also, if you're in Sales and you have a valuable product, think twice about offering a discount.  Deliver value, because that's what your buyers appreciate.  That's my second take.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace