The King of Heaven Wants Me

Yesterday, I signed off of my social media accounts for the summer (I plan to be back on for football season, because... well, football trash talk is fun at lest for me).  I'm taking the time spent mindlessly going through my feed, engaging in the debate (more like gossip) of the day, and spending time letting my soul refresh with music, with more time reading the Bible and God-centered books, and investing in Amanda's and my friends' lives.  In this season, I also want to re-engage with my writing, so you'll see more activity here.

This is Memorial Day.  I woke up a little late and started to cook some breakfast with a Third Day Spotify station in my headset.  I woke up with "Your Love oh Lord" in my head (still one of my favorite worship songs) and was really encouraged and stirred through listening to the songs this morning.  

Then one song, one that I've heard on the radio but really hadn't stopped to listen to too much, popped on my station.  It's a new song by Tenth Avenue North titled Control (The King of Heaven Wants Me).  I provided the lyrics video at the bottom (the running scenes are very cool).

What I need(ed) reminding of today, and this song was on repeat for a while because a.) that's how I roll, and b.) this message was so timely for me (perhaps it may be fore you), is that God isn't after my performance.  He is self-sufficient.  He doesn't need me.  And honestly, I act sometimes as if I don't do "this thing for God" (whatever it is) that somehow I'm failing God.  That somehow God's kingdom is dependent on me and leads me into this performance-based insanity where I work for God as if he does need me.

But He doesn't need me.

He is God.  He spoke the world into existence.  He owns "the cattle on a thousand hills."  Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth (Matthew 28:18).  He will also come to make all injustice, sickness, poverty, and sin go away in the new heaven and new earth (Revelation 21).  He will accomplish all of that, and He doesn't need me to do it.

But somehow He wants me.  "Go therefore..." (Matthew 28:19).  God doesn't need me, but somehow He WANTS me.  He has all authority and power, and yet He wants me to join and participate with Him.

That, honestly, for a guy who battles with performance-based thinking, is very freeing.  Does it free you to know that the King of Heaven desires - not out of need but out of His incredible love for you - to engage in relationship with you and give you the privilege of partnering with Him?  Does it free you to know that yours and my performance doesn't merit his favor, because we didn't earn any favor with God by our works at all?   It does for me.

Think about these lyrics for a bit...

God You don't need me
But somehow You want me
Oh how You love me
Somehow that frees me
To open my hands up
And give You control

When I am motivated by the love of God, instead of some "if you don't, it won't" mentality, it should open my hands up... my clenched hands that want to control my surroundings... and give over control to the only one who really is in control.  It's very easy for me to live in that "closed fist" mentality, and it is a prison.  In that mentality, the world grips me because I'm thinking with it's thinking.  The world's mentality is about control, and the chains of control can be very heavy.

Oh You want me
Somehow You want me
The King of Heaven wants me
So this world has lost it's grip on me

I love this bridge - because my giving up control because God wants us, not out of any lack on His part (because He isn't lacking in anything), but out of His incredible love for us - truly loosens the grip that this world has on me, and frees me to rest in the grace of my Savior.



Please take a listen to this song, if you find this blog.  I hope that it encourages you as it has me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Chris -

Beautiful song - and beautiful post. Thanks for sharing!

I found your blog by way of your Twitter feed, by way of your LinkedIn profile (where I sent a message last week).

Would love to connect regarding ABM if you have interest. Look forward to hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace