Perks

Yesterday in my quiet time, I read what was to me a familiar story in the Bible... Have you ever read a familiar story or passage and either because you read on -or- you see something that hasn't jumped off the page to you before, God just rocks your world with it?  -OR- He gives you an "ah ha moment?"  This happened to me yesterday.

The story is one about a guy from a foreign (somewhat hostile) country who has leprosy, a really socially limiting disease, and hears about how he could get healed by this prophet (Elisha) in Israel, goes to seek healing and in the process of being healed meets God on God's own terms and is miraculously healed.  I have read this story many times because it has spoken to me about seeking God on His own terms and not mine... and I have actually lead devotions on this passage because I love it so much... but this time I got something different out of it. 

Yesterday, I didn't stop at the point where Naaman got healed... instead I read on.  The exchange gets more interesting.  (if you want to read this for yourself, it's in 2 Kings 5:16-27)

Naaman was a pretty important guy in Aram... he was the commander of the army... think General Peterus in modern time... or perhaps General Eisenhower about 60 years back.  That is the clout Naaman had.  So obviously, when he came to Israel for healing he brought some gifts/stuff with him to ensure that he was able to get what he wanted.  So, of course, when he was healed in the Jordan as Elisha had promised, Naaman went back to Elisha to ask the question "what do you want?  Money, land, servants, power?"  In a sense, he felt he owed something for the healing he had received.  

Elisha refused payment... didn't matter what it was.  Naaman insisted, but Elisha wouldn't have anything of it.  In an unspoken way, God's blessings, favor, and healing in our lives are a gift... we can't do anything to deserve them and they can't be bought with the stuff of this world.  So, Elisha sent Naaman back to Aram in peace and didn't take any of the material rewards he was offered.  

However, Elisha's servant Gehazi (what mother would name their kid this?) would have nothing to do with it... his thought was literally "Elisha was way too easy on this guy!" and thinking that he should profit from this act of mercy (that God performed, mind you) he secretly chased Naaman down and lied to him in order to secure a "payment" for himself.  In the exchange, he got money and clothes and hid them in his house.  

Of course, this act was not hidden from God... Elisha knew what happened, and scolded his servant for his choice to take money when it was clear that this was not the time or the place.  And then, Gehazi was made leprous and had to flee... a little harsh, but somehow I think God wanted to make a point here (or why would it be recorded here?)

Maybe I'm just speculating... but perhaps this could be the point:

Interestingly enough, the economic recession we are facing in America is affecting all aspects of our lives, including the resources available at Buckhead Church where I attend (since it pays the bills on the generosity of its members).  Every Christmas, the staff would usually send out thank you cards to their volunteers (which, without the mass of volunteers this whole thing would not run) and would include a gift card to Cold Stone, Starbucks, etc.  It was a nice token.  In addition, we'd usually get a party to celebrate and thank us for the work we've done.  Again, a nice token and these parties are a lot of fun.  

This past year, with the recession cutting into everyones' budgets, the staff decided that to be good stewards of the money we entrust to them.  As a result, a lot of these parties didn't happen last year and we got thank you letters in the mail but no gift card.  Now, I'm not really sad at all about that... in fact I think I've still got unused gift cards from Christmas 2007 that I need to use... but I imagine that some were.  I mean, we do work hard in our volunteer roles... especially the folks on the parking team (I am very thankful for them)... however it's human nature to when you serve in such a way to think that we may have a sense of entitlement here.  

But that's not what God was saying through Elisha.  He didn't believe he was entitled as the man of God in Israel, he just served and trusted in God to meet his needs.  Can I have the same faith??  I would like to say that I'd serve just as enthusiastically if one day the donuts, bagels, coffee, and soft drinks all of the sudden disappeared from the Upstreet volunteer room... or even if we had to do away with the volunteer room.  

I know many of us that serve at Northpoint and Buckhead serve out of pure hearts but we also talk about the perks that we get (like donuts and coffee)... would we serve as enthusiastically or in the same numbers if knowing that we were doing the work God called us to and the super-appreciative "thank you's" we get from our staff members were the only perks we got?  I would hope so... I can say that of many peeps I serve with thankfully :-).  Just because Gehazi didn't get it doesn't mean that we can't...  Fortunately, the consequence is not as harsh as his... but missing out on what God wants to do in our lives isn't something that I'd want either.  

Cheers!
Chris <><

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again