Not weird to us

Cooking my breakfast for myself this morning, reflecting on my instincts got me thinking about the "weird" things that we like for breakfast in different parts of the world.  You know, things that, if we lived there would be normal but to an outsider would be considered gross.  Here are a couple that I've experienced:

Europe:

Cereal with yogurt:  That's right, a lot of people seem to like eating wheat cereal and putting raspberry yogurt on top of it instead of milk.  Yes, it brings smiles to many faces, but it makes my stomach turn.  It was served every morning that I've been in Estonia and ask me how many times I've tried it... uh, none!

Sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and cheese:  This is a pretty good treat... but, I've not ever been a huge fan of uncooked tomatoes but it seems weird to me to put them out first thing in the morning.

England (and I've heard New England)

Baked beans and Canadian bacon.  I actually like this deal... but some peeps think that the idea of eating baked beans for breakfast is sick.  To each their own.  A lot of hotel buffets in Europe also have the baked beans and ham going every morning.  I usually opt for this over the cereal with yogurt or the sliced cucumbers.  

Texas & the southwest

Now, I think this is normal... but I have gotten some weird looks from others when I've talked about it.  We (I) love not baked beans for breakfast, but REFRIED beans.  Mmmmmmm, roll that up with some eggs and bacon in a tortilla and enjoy.  I would say that the "breakfast taco" or "breakfast burrito" thing was a weird thing, but it's seemed to have caught on.  However, I don't think that fajita beef and egg in a taco will probably be accepted in many places outside the Lone Star State anytime soon.

The South

This is what got me thinking... I think that the South is the only place that probably has an obsession with eating FrIED CHICKEN for breakfast.  This may be too much of a good thing... I mean the South in general is in love with frying that bird.  Chick-Fil-A and Zaxbys were started in Georgia... enough said.  The most audacious (and delicious I may add) is a breakfast plate at Thumbs Up Diner that I was encouraged to try titled "Chicken and Waffles" (Mrs. Winners chicken sells this too, but probably not like this), which includes a waffle, two scrambled eggs, and three huge fried chicken tenders.  That's a combination... maple syrup and fried chicken.  Okay, you may think that's weird, but don't knock it till you try it... I think it's weird too but it's gooooooood.  

You know, I think that if the South had won the Civil War, in cities all across the Confederacy there would be, like in Europe, hotels with breakfast buffets... except these buffets would every day serve a huge bowl of grits, scrambled eggs, and a massive bucket of the Colonel's Original Recipe wings.  I'm just sayin'.  Oh no, I probably gave some Southern hotel chain an idea :-O

-------------------
So, what got me thinking?  I made an omelet today out of breaded chicken tenders.  How long have I lived in Atlanta now?
 

Comments

Mike Tiemann said…
Hilarious post! And very true. I've always been fond of the Scottish breakfast, with all different kinds of meat and that mysterious "black pudding." (Google that if you dare...)
Bethany said…
And the Scotch egg I got on a flight from England to Ireland - a hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage. igghh..it sounds good but not when you know it has been shrink wrapped.

The one that I could never get used to overseas was large trays of fat swirled salamis and hams with rock hard rolls in Germany. I would always find the softest roll I could and eat it with Nutella...for some reason Nutella was always on the table...it saved me many mornings...
Chris said…
Well, my favorite breakfast food off all time is something known as "pig in a blanket" kolaches (or "pigs" for short). They are Czech sausage and cheese wrapped in sweet bread and baked (sometimes with cheese). I'm getting hungry just thinking about it (and gaining weight too :) ). The scottish egg sounds interesting and Mike, now I am going to HAVE to google "black pudding"
Chris said…
The only place I have ever found them is in small central Texas bakeries.... I need to figure out how to make that stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again