Chris's Chick-Flick Review of June 2009

At the risk of losing my man card, I am going to admit to the blogging world that on my way back from Estonia (and once with our students while in Tartu), I saw a number of movies that would either loosely or accurately be portrayed as "chick flicks."  I'm not sure what would officially get a man card revoked, but admitting to enjoy romantic comedies without having a romantic relationship would probably fit that.  But, that said, having watched a few I thought I would give them the "male review" in case any of you guys have a date planned and are wondering what to expect when you walk into the theater (or Blockbuster) for any of these.  
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
About 90% of all these movies starring Matthew McConaughey follow just about the same plot.  This one is no different.  a.) Guy who is a jerk/immature/etc. but is also really good with women has a tragic flaw that keeps him from love, b.) Someone comes into "fix" him, c.) He resists because he values his life/independence, d.) something happens which causes him to realize that he has tragically lost his way and reforms, and e.) nice/cute girl who thinks he's a jerk/immature/etc. but fun falls for him and they end up together at the end.  

Considering the predictability, this was an entertaining movie.  If you can endure the first 15 minutes of highly suggestive sexual material, you'll probably consider this one a good renter.  I won't lie... Jennifer Garner is a good plus for this one ;-), and I like her "nice, {quasi-}innocent girl" look.  

The ideas of the "ghosts" coming into fix him was pretty entertaining too... there was a scene where his character has to face all of the girls he slept with and dropped and see the wake that he left behind in those "relationships."  The wake wasn't good... using people to satisfy your own selfish desires never really do.  So, I got to thinking about the wake that I leave in dating... is it one where the girl (esp. if it's just a few dates and nothing comes of it) is built up, valued, and encouraged - or a little more like this guys' exes.  Fortunately, I have been told that some of my former dates have spoke well of me; so I hope that means my wake is good :-)

He's Just Not That Into You
This may be the movie that gets the man card revoked, but here's the review.  

I thought this was actually entertaining... very unique.  If you look at it from a general singles' perspective, it was really a movie making fun of all of the dating games that we all play but all hate at the same time.  I asked one of the girls from my mission team (on the plane) after seeing it if I should have learned anything from it, and she told me "no, it's really just for girls."  So there you have it, there's no moral for us guys.  Ummmm... perhaps there is one.  When you go out on a date, be a man of integrity.  While I don't think that means "defining the relationship" after a single coffee date (please, don't do that :-P ), I think it goes to saying that you shouldn't mess around with a girl's heart.  

Oh, and girls... if we're interested, we'll call :-).  If we are and we don't, you probably don't want that date anyways.

Marley and Me
Okay, this was not a romantic comedy, but it made me cry so I'll put it on this list.  Actually, before you start really revoking the man card now, if you have seen Marley and Me and not cried, I would have to question whether you were alive (or maybe you just hate dogs, but then again why would you see Marley and Me if you hated dogs?) 

This may have been one of my favorites from the last month (other than Taken, but that wouldn't be on the chick flick list... But, do see Taken!  It's really good!)   I thought Marley's antics were really crazy, and I have lived with a misbehaving (but funloving) dog before (Craig's dog Walker when I lived at their place).  I laughed a lot.  If you haven't seen it, go rent it.  

Comments

Mike Tiemann said…
Great post! We just saw "New in Town" last night. Renee Zellweger moves to Minnesota (fish out of water) and falls in love with Harry Connick Jr. It might have been the most predictable movie of all time, but that doesn't bother me if it's entertaining... which this was. Ro-coms are great for a nice, innocuous good time!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again