Something small or someone huge?

It's always great to get a little perspective.  


Especially when we (or I) get too focused, anxious, and permeated in something small...

...er than....


God.  


Today was one of those days for me.  When your perspective is on the here and now in your life's circumstances, and you try to control "it" but you feel like "it" is controlling you, it's a little easy to get discouraged, cynical, down... just plain ugh!  


Thankfully, God got me out of me.  He nudged me to go to this Bible Study tonight with some life giving friends, and in that little gathering, singing "All to us," God turned my head around to this theme that He's been weaving in my life since Passion 2010.  


It is not crazy to trade something small, in exchange for something HUGE.  


And in that moment, that perspective became once again clear.  What I was so fixated on, what was draining my mental energy is... in light of eternity... worth.... 


Nothing.


And the unmeasurable greatness of the glory of God almighty, which I am allowed to bask in through the exchange that Jesus made on the cross.  That glory which I had marginalized in favor of that miniscule, eternally insignificant thing; that glory that is worth everything and then some.  I needed emotionally and spiritually to be reminded as to what really matters... and to repent of that grievous sin that is scarily so easy to fall into.  


What I do with the temporal gifts and opportunity I'm granted, at the end of the day, is there to be leveraged for eternal glory because ultimately that is what really matters.  And it's really the only thing that can grant significance, even in this life.


It's good to be reminded of that.  The human heart too quickly strays away from the source... I wish mine wasn't such a fool.  


I'll finish with a couple of quotes that God brought me to tonight... one that He brings me to frequently and one that He's just put in my life :)


When this passing world is over 
We will see You face to face 
And forever we will worship 
Jesus, You are all to us  

- Chris Tomlin, from All To Us


Why do you complain, Jacob?
   Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the LORD;
   my cause is disregarded by my God”?
Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
   and his understanding no one can fathom." - Isaiah 40:27-28 



Will we/Will I trade our little lives, our little dreams, and our little accomplishments; in exchange of the life that God offers; The life that is larger than life.  That life that gives our life the meaning and purpose that no temporary thing that is offered to us here can?  


As Jim Elliot stated:


He is no fool...
who trades that which he cannot keep...
In order to gain that which he cannot lose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace