The looming deadline approaches

I have been watching the news with baited breath... as negotiations occur in dark rooms in which the fate of many will be decided... and the clock is ticking to an eventual doomsday deadline.

Yes, my friends.

I'm talking about the July 31st baseball trade deadline.

I am, sort of, watching the market for who may be traded to my current hometown team, who has been somewhat crippled when Brian McCann went on the DL just recently.  With the loss of his bat, the Braves really need to pick up some offense, especially against left handed pitching (where they were recently quoted as batting a measly .227 as of about a week ago).

But more so, I'm nervous and watching the biggest seller on the market.  After all, I am from  Houston and I am a Houston Astros fan.

And yes, I know....

They really stink.  Actually, that may be too kind.

That's why we are the biggest seller now, because we own the most marketable player that is being talked about as a trade target.  That would be Hunter Pence, who is by far my favorite player on the team.

But part of the reason we're in this position is that our GM Ed Wade has really managed this team into the toilet.  Our farm system has no impact prospects; we haven't gotten great trade value for the players we've dealt in the past; our scouting has been in decline; and we pay out these success-choking large money contracts for players that don't produce (need I mention Carlos Lee?).  I fear that, should he trade Hunter or Michael Bourn, that we won't get what they're worth.  After all, the jury is still out on the deals to trade Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman, who Ed traded last year (if Brett Wallace ends up being a stud, then I'll change my opinion, but so far Happ hasn't put out).

But, I imagine that with the sale of the team and Wade knowing that he's getting fired at the end of the season (this is what World Series to .333 winning percentage in 6 short years will get you), he's going to try to add a big blockbuster trade to his resume.  Plus, with the World Champion Giants getting Carlos Beltran now, the other NL contenders feel the pressure to add a piece to the puzzle.  Rumor is that the Phillies and the Braves are talking to the 'Stros about Pence, so if I were Ed Wade (and Jim Crane, since this will be his team very soon) this is what I would do.

1.) If you don't get at least one pitching prospect that can start and would be projected as a #3 or better starter in the near future, pass.  Actually, we need at least 2 young players that can start in the majors immediately.  Pence is too valuable to just fire sale him... Arguably, from the Braves you should get at least Minor or Delgado and a couple of other prospects (at the AA and A levels).

2.) Get as much pitching as possible.  Offense isn't our problem right now, we need arms that can get batters out.  We don't have that right now; even though Wandy is finally having a decent year.

3.) Trade Wandy for sure - he's in my opinion at his highest trade value now and we should get what we can for him.  He's a decent #3 or #4 starter, but the Astros are paying him as if he's an ace.  He's not.

4.) If there's a way to get rid of Carlos Lee and his contract, please do it.  But then again, Ed Wade's lousy negotiating probably makes that a near impossibility.

I read an ESPN blog post about this, and I agree with the writer.  Houston is probably better staying put and letting a competent General Manager take over (that would not be Ed Wade, by the way).  However, you never know what kind of "deal we can't refuse" may be offered in the next 72 hours.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/14322/thursday-overnight-2

Frankly, if I see Hunter Pence in a Braves jersey and Mike Minor pitching in an Astros jersey in a week; I think I'd be okay.  Depends on what other pieces we get.  Hunter Pence is too good of a guy to be buried in losing like he has lately, so getting on a winner would be good for him.  I just wish that winner was in Houston :-(

Here's to hating rebuilding... Again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again