A lost coin

 “Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?  And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” - Luke 15:8-10


About a week ago, I finally "bit the bullet" and bought myself a road bike to get  an additional avenue to exercise outdoors, spend time with my girl on regular active dates, and cross-train during my 13.1 training seasons.  Unfortunately, the weather and my schedule (I went to my high school reunion this past weekend) didn't really comply with me.  I was a little bummed, but I eventually got out and rode about 10 miles down Columns Drive.  Man - riding is definitely a different workout, it was really good but my quads are going to be a little sore tomorrow.  

About 8-ish tonight, I got off the trail, packed up my bike, went to Trader Joes, and put a pizza in the oven for dinner... and then I went to get my bike out of the trunk and reassemble the tire.  At that time, I realize...


A critical piece of my bike that assembles the front tire is missing.  I panic.  This was a HUGE purchase that I have high hopes for, and after one ride I'm one piece between having a working bike and a really expensive paperweight.  


So what did I do?  


I tore apart my trunk... it is cleaner than it's been in months!  

And I didn't find it... Now there's a sense of desperation.


And when the pizza finished up (which I hadn't paid much attention to now), I got it out of the oven, put it on a plate, and got in my car to go to Columns Drive.  I figured now that the assembly piece was part of the front tire, and there was a good chance that it came off when I disassembled the tire.  So, I leave the pizza to go cold and drive back.


And guess what?  There it is!!!!  


I was really happy... you can tell, I wrote this blog.  


Not only did I write this blog because I was happy that I still have a working bike, I wrote it because this incident allowed me to "see" what Jesus was telling the crowd when he spoke this parable.  


God... feels the same way about me.  


And He went out to seek me out and bring me home.  He somehow believes that I am that valuable, that important to Him... 


In a sense, we can turn the parable around (I did when I originally wrote this parable... and yes, Jesus is our greatest treasure) because our intimacy with Jesus is that valuable.  


But did you know that God feels the same way about you?  


Does that give you peace?  Does that make you feel valued?  


It should.  I mean, the God of the universe went out and painstakingly searched out for you!!  


He loves me that much.  And honestly, if you are loved and valued by the God of the universe, what other love could even come close to comparing to it?  


The answer.


None.  


Nada.


Zilch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again