Passion

How many of you are excited about the Olympics.  I am!  My TV isn't on a lot, but it's been on to watch many of the Olympic events since the Games began last Friday.  Surprisingly, I like many of you are glued to watch sports that, for most of the four years in-between Olympics,  we normally wouldn't care much about.

As many of you know, I studied marketing in graduate school, largely because I love psychology and understanding how people tick, and I have a fascination with good advertising.  One of the best ads I've seen while watching the Olympics (and one of the best I've ever seen), is one where different athletes are training for their events with the background narrative of...

I can't remember the last time I watched TV.

You know that best selling novel that everybody's talking about... I haven't read it.

I haven't had dessert in over 2 years.

These are the voices of people who have sacrificed tiny pleasures in order to pursue big dreams.  They have committed to, and based on the choices they have made with their time and their treasure demonstrate that their life passion is being poured out into their sport.  Many of these sports do not, by themselves, bring fame and fortune with them, unless you win big and your name is Michael Phelps.  They have a talent, a dream, and a commitment to represent that dictates that comfort is not an option.

This inspires me.  A life that is about something bigger than our little world inspires me.  A life that isn't content to just exist but to rise, awake, and make great things happen.

I'm not an Olympic athlete... I'm just an average guy.  Does that neglect that I can pursue greatness?  I mean, I love running 1/2 marathons, volunteering in ministries at my church, planning little social events, and succeeding in the work world... but that's not quite what these guys are accomplishing.  Does that neglect that if I sacrifice in a pursuit of a larger passion, that my dreams won't be realized?

I guess it depends on what you call success... and what accomplishing your dream means.

Ultimately, our life will end and we will leave a legacy that will outlive us... a story that exists inside of the greatest story of all... the story of God...  and will influence everyone (kids, mentees, friends, a spouse, etc.) that God gives us the privilege of rubbing shoulders with.  Will we let God to ignite us with passion to see His work in the world and for Him to use the smaller passions He has allowed us to have (whether it's your passion for running, for teaching, singing, whatever...) to let us become alive so that others can see the life of Christ in a life fully alive in us and to let our lives engage in such a way that others know that our life isn't just "natural" but instead that they've somehow encountered Christ.

This is a random thought, yes... but did you know that our little passions point us to the greatest passion, to know and to be like our savior?

Only lives fully alive really give that fragrance.  Is that attractive to you?

Is it enough to get you out of bed, off of the couch, and engaged...

And turn off the TV... well, after the Olympics are over :-)

The dreams that God has placed in our hearts are worth giving up the smaller comforts.

Even if you aren't in London right now :-)  (heck, I'm not)

"The glory of God is man fully alive" - St. Iraneus

Comments

Parker said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
You are not just an average guy. I don't know you, but I can tell. Your thoughts are really interesting. You must be a damn smart guy!

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace