Carpe Diem

One of my favorite movies of all time (I probably shouldn't confess to this, since I haven't watched it in a long time) is the movie Dead Poets Society.  In this movie, a prep school teacher played by Robin Williams motivates and expands the worlds of a group of boys to pursue their dreams and to truly live.

It all started with a motivational speech in the hall of students past gone by... in which he whispered.

Car-pe-Di-em.

Make your lives, extraordinary.  

Carpe Diem... Sieze the day.  It is a motto that many of us hold to.  We don't want to merely exist.  We want to live and make our mark on the world we have been placed in.  We want to make a difference.

And we pursue what "making a difference" means for us.  Many of these things are great things - projects to be tackled, organizations to be built, deals to be won, ladders to be climbed, experiences to be had.

As a result, many of us our busy... and I mean very busy.  Busyness isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes in the sense of carpe diem'ing they can get in the way of the things that bring more than just accomplishment... but bring life.

At the end of the day, our lives are most enhanced by the people that we choose to invest into us and the people to whom we invest our own lives.  I'm very happy to have friends and mentors that I can count on, and I am so grateful for those relationships.  No matter where life and my endeavors take me, above all of that I hope (and I hope that you my readers as well) that I don't forget to keep making the main thing the main thing.  Maintaining our relationships and investing in people is where we really find life sing, and I hope that I keep that as True North.  So, in light of carpe diem'ing...

Take the time to encourage

Take the time to invest

Take the time to find out someone's love language, and speak it to them.

Take the time to make memories, and give them.

Take the time for the people God has put in your life.  They are there for a reason :-)

And...

To my friends reading this post.  Thank YOU for your friendship.  It makes my life awesome.

Investing in those life-giving relationships will make your life awesome too.

So Carpe Diem! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace