Second-hand faith

This morning, I opened up my Bible to (curiously) skim over a few pages in Judges following the story we used for discussion in small group yesterday about how God grew Gideon's faith through calling him to a specific personal ministry and the pivotal circumstances surrounding Israel and his own life.  It was amazing to see how God transformed a weak man that cowered under his circumstances and low family (and probably self) esteem into a mighty warrior that led Israel to victory over a menacing enemy and led them for 40 years.  I won't cover that, it is a great story and created a great discussion in small group.

What caught my eye was what the writer said about what happened when Gideon died... it said:

"No sooner had Gideon died than the Israelites again prostituted themselves to the Baals.  They set up Baal-Berith as their god and did not remember the LORD their God, who had rescued them from the hands of all their enemies on every side."  - Judges 8:33-34

What caught my attention was the editorial on the timing... "no sooner had."  It was almost if when Gideon's physical presence was removed it was almost as if (spiritually speaking for Israel) he had never been there... ever.  While Gideon's faith had been stretched, grown, and was mighty...   most of the people really had none - it was Gideon's sustaining them (or so they may have thought), and when he was gone, so was the faith of the Israelites.  

God really spoke to me through this paragraph that true lasting change IS heart change that He creates and He asks us to participate with him in growing (Phil 2:12).  The danger that I saw through this is that there is a real sense that life change can be superficial and temporary if we depend on the faith of another to keep us in line, as the Israelites did with Gideon.  As I thought about this, knowing that God has brought mentors in and out of my life and has blessed me with a great teaching pastor in Andy Stanley... and that at times I am tempted (and probably have) let my life be on autopilot and lived on their faith and leadership rather than letting God do the hard work in me to grow my own relationship with Him.  It is really tempting to follow a leader (such as Andy Stanley) and over-rely on him for our spirtuality... I have seen the same thing with folks that followed Dr. Ed Young at Second Baptist Houston.  Whenever something takes them away from the environment, or the leader, the temptation to drop out of church and community becomes too great... I have seen some of that myself in my own life... depending too much on a leader like a Louie Giglio, Andy Stanley, etc. to meet the needs that God himself wants to meet in me.

And the truth is, second-hand faith doesn't last because it really isn't ours to begin with.  We must own and exercise our own individual relationship with God and give to community... while great leaders and teachers are a huge plus, they can't replace our own relationship with our Heavenly Father.  When they go (we move, they retire, cease to teach 722, etc.), does our faith go with them, like the Israelites?  

OR... are we cultivating that relationship, and God is producing something amazing in us that can be a light to others, as He did with Gideon?

Comments

Display Name said…
Great reflections Chris. As a pastor on staff at Second Baptist Houston, we all pray that the spiritual lives of our church family are beyond that of our senior pastor and leaders. This is a great encouragement to all. Thanks for the post.
Chris said…
David, thanks for the comment. Having been a member at Second when I lived in Houston, I really appreciated the opportunities that were given to singles like myself to connect with like-minded believers and with God, including (still) the best small group I've been a part of (a shout out here to Steven Bennett, Shannon Brown, Benjamin Stephens, and gang).

One thing I heard a couple of Sundays ago at Oak Hills Church in San Antonio when I visited there with a friend that recently moved there was that the "building" (and the "organization") is not the church... the church is the community of believers that gathers and nurtures each other in our walks... the teaching pastor that spoke that morning (unfortunately not Max... had the same "luck" when I visited Saddleback.. Rick was traveling too) made a comparison to the end of an Elvis concert where they would say "Elvis has left the building".. saying at the conclusion of the worship service: "The church has left the building." I thought that was funny :).

There were some things that happened to me or around me that got me noodling over "owning my faith" and I think it was providential that I was stopped in my tracks yesterday morning with that phrase. God wants for each of US to intimately know Him and be led into a deeper and growing relationship with Him... unfortunately regardless of how great our leaders are (I am blessed to be at such a place with Andy Stanley), they (Dr. Young, Bill Hybels, Andy Stanley, Rick Warren, Gregg Matte, etc.) cannot walk with God for us. That is something that God desires for each of us who call upon Him to be our Savior and our life. Good times :)

"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who is at work within you to will and to act according to his good pleasure"... The Apostle Paul :)

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace