An email I received from a friend today

I got this email from a friend (who will remain nameless to protect his identity) about his experience at the Healthcare Town Hall in Dekalb yesterday. It's worth a read. Be informed (meaning, don't just listen to the Obama propaganda -- or anyone else's propaganda for that matter) and speak your mind. This is not a trivial bill we're talking about...
-----------------------------------------

I want to write briefly to give my reaction to tonight's healthcare town hall with Congressman Hank Johnson.

I went to the town hall expecting a large crowd that would be predominantly supportive of government sponsored healthcare, but I was hoping for an organized and vocal minority that I could support. I was also hoping against the odds that I could actually get a chance to ask a question. The town hall was far worse than I expected.

Even though I arrived way before the meeting actually began, the line of people waiting to get into the meeting was (at my best estimate) more than 200 yards long. There was another, equally long, line on the other side of the auditorium. Not only did I not make it into the main auditorium, I actually got one of the very last seats in the overflow seating in the college's gymnasium where we watched the event on closed-circuit TV. The crowd was even more partisan than I had expected, and the opposition was small, unorganized and ineffective. Most disturbing was the extreme rhetoric coming from Congressman Johnson and the crowd's reaction. The loudest cheering that I recall was when Hank Johnson spoke against the "profit motive" of insurance companies. His comments were not just an attack against our current health care system; they were an attack against capitalism itself.

We should not take lightly what is happening in the healthcare debate. We should not shrug it off and say, "Oh well, how bad could it be?" President Obama is trying to fundamentally reshape a huge portion of our economy. In case you have forgotten, it was capitalism that made the U.S. the largest and most successful economy in the world, the country that has been the most generous of any in the world. This great miracle did not happen by accident. It happened because America historically has embraced free market capitalism. I do NOT believe that I am overstating the case when I say that Obama and his allies are trying to reshape our economy and move it in a direction that will send us down a path of economic decline. No, I am not being overly dramatic. What is happening in our country right now is serious, and I am calling on each of you to wake up and take it seriously!!!!!!!

Over the next several days, I will be contacting some people, doing some research and seeking some advice about what we (yes, even we who live in Hank Johnson's district) can do to stop this madness. I will follow up in a few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------
BTW (friend's name), thanks for the insight. Look forward to your follow up. Feel free to comment if you want to identify yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace