Best and Worst Proposals

I saw a tweet while waiting at Tin Lizzy's with some friends to sit down that made me both laugh and groan.  Following the Texans progress this morning, this one tweet read that this couple got engaged at the Rams-Texans game on the jumbotron.  I "laughed" because I am amused that any guy in their right mind actually thinks this is a good idea, and groaned because some poor girl (if she goes through and marries this guy) is going to have this memory etched into her mind as the single memory of the beginning of their marriage.

Of course, she may be that rare 5% of women that actually like sports that would think that a non-intimate proposal on a jumbotron at a major sporting event in front of 80,000 people that care more about who the Rams are going to get with their high draft pick than their relationship is a good idea.  I would hope that, for her sake, that is the case.  But chances are, should was probably hoping for another way of getting asked.

While this didn't get me thinking about what would make a great proposal (or a bad one), it did catch my attention.  Seeing as though I'm in my 30's and single, I have heard a lot of engagement stories and have noodled over how I would propose when I'm ready.  While I would not say how I would do it (partly because perhaps my future wife may read this blog), I do know that I would put a lot of thought and TLC into it.  The way I look at it, this proposal is the event in which I will officially never date anyone else, so I want it to be something that she will always remember with fondness, and perhaps with a little laughter.  There are many things in life more tragic than a mediocre proposal and a marriage is built on much more than a single event, but in my mind I want to do the event up in a way that will make her feel like the luckiest woman alive.... she deserves that.

It's easier to talk about a bad proposal, of course... because they are cliche.  There's of course the "jumbotron/announcement board" sports event proposal, for reasons I've already talked about (and of course the pressure this puts on the girl).  I would also put the over-the-top high-dollar restaurant proposal up there, not because it isn't romantic but because it's so... standard, and somewhat anti-climatic.  I want this story in my own relationship to be a story that gets talked about - often - with laughter and amazement, and I can't imagine a Saturday night at the Rainbow Lodge doing that, personally.

Those really are the only two "standard and cliche" proposals that I can think of.  If you're reading this and put "Will You Marry Me?" on the jumbotron or dropped $400 in a great coat-and-tie dinner and proposed during dessert, I hope you're not offended :-).  It's just me... in one sense I know that this is a one-time experience, both for me and her, and as a "hopeless romantic" I would like to do something that no other guy (or no other guy I know) would do, and that would be talked about for a long, long time.  Given that I've had a lot of friends wow their now-wives, I have a lot to live up to.  When it's my turn (and she says "yes"), I'll have to tell the story, but until then I'll keep you (and me) wondering what I'll do.

I do love hearing stories, so I'd love to hear some of my married friends' stories.

Unless you proposed at a football game :-)  - but knowing most of you I don't think that's the case.

Comments

Mike Tiemann said…
Hey, I know... a proposal at Tin Lizzy's! They do have the best fish tacos on the planet, after all. You could put the ring in one of those bad boys.

But seriously, I think a great proposal is one that's personal... in other words, about the hobbies/interests you share as a couple. So the JumboTron thing COULD be cool if they were both huge sports fans. :)
Chris said…
Yeah - that's about the only reason :) Tin Lizzy's would be cool - I mean what says romance more than fish tacos? lol. Actually, I would do it there if Tin Lizzy's was our first date or had some special significance. You hit the nail on the head that personal is SO much better than flashy... that's probably why you're such a successfully married gnarley dude :)

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again