Back from Labor Day Retreat, managing to keep from being sunburned and bowled over by Hurricane Gustav, I am enjoying a quiet evening relaxing and mulling over some of the happenings and ways that God had been speaking to me over the weekend. This weekend has been great in that regard... God has used Brennan Manning (our speaker, author of The Ragamuffin Gospel) to really speak into my life and has obviously left me with a lot to noodle over. I'll share with you one of those things... something that I thought was really interesting. In one of his talks, Brennan turned around and talked about Jesus's famous parable of the prodigal son as if when He was talking about the character of the prodigal, think about it as if Jesus was characterizing himself as the "prodigal." This is, in my mind, very scandalous... considering that Jesus IS the perfect Son of God and I'm not really thinking at all that the parable's character was necessarily intended to be Jesus.....
I've had this on the brain for a while... I need a mental candy break though. For myself, or for any of my friends who are members of one of the NorthPoint Ministries campuses (that means Buckhead, Browns Bridge... you know who you are), there are (admit it) signs that you've been going to this church for way too long. And now, like any person that needs to get out of their denial, I'm going to point out a few :-) Top Ten Signs You've Been at NorthPoint for Quite Some Time 1.) You commonly use any of the following words in your daily conversation: Margin Life-giving Give, Save, Spend Environment CG Big Idea Virtue Bottom Line Safe 2.) Something that Andy Stanley said in a sermon inevitably makes it into your Bible study discussion. 3.) You don't see anything wrong with wearing the same T-shirt every Sunday for 30 Sundays in a row (a shout out to all of us UpStreeters!), and in case you haven't washed "this year's" shirt, you have...
I've been a little deep lately in my blog, and I feel like I need a little balance here. So today, I start up a series of blogs entited "Worthy and Unworthy" - in which I rate things as "worthy" or "unworthy" (based on nothing other than my opinion, of course). Feel free to disagree with me if you wish... I probably won't get offended :-) So let's get this started: Ketchups This is a topic that my friend Josh Adams has brought to some attention, with a discussion on his Facebook page about the fact that he will actually bring Heinz ketchup into a place if they serve something else. While I'm a huge fan of Heinz, I do think there are other worthy ketchups. Worthy! Heinz - The original and still the best. McDonalds - I don't know what it is, but their ketchup and fries form a powerful duo. Whataburger - This ketchup that Whataburger own-brands is some really amazing stuff. It's got a kick that you don't see in...
Comments