Grace - one of my favorite things

I just got my CDs from the Passion 2010 talks this last week - I have started to listen to a few of them and I am completely stuck on this one story that Francis Chan tells during his session talk...

He tells this story about a time when his oldest daughter comes home having just gotten an "F" on a test in school.  Like in my growing up, bad grades were unacceptable for her and the news of failing a test would bring unfun consequences.  So after Francis gets home, she shows him the test and asks what is going to happen to her.  And during what was probably an ultimate in teachable moments in her life, her dad (who is recounting this story to us) says....

I'm going to take you out to dinner...
Then we'll go out to a movie.
Then I'll take you out for ice cream.

Because I want you to experience... grace.

Quite unexpected, huh?  Francis told us that when she got to school the next day that she told the story and her friends responded like any normal kid who heard of a such a thing... "I want your dad."

Because most of them wouldn't ever get that.  They'd get what they deserved.  Probably locked in their room for hours of study sessions.  Definitely not going out to dinner, and no ice cream.

You may ask me why I get so excited when I worship.... I'm sure the 4th and 5th graders I sing in front of every Sunday probably think I'm nuts.  And yes, I am one of "those people" that raise their hands in worship, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.  And honestly, it's not because I'm trying to be spiritual or something.

It's because I've got an "F" on my life test, and I took it to Jesus and admitted my failure, and He responded by giving me...

Unending friendship
Blessings beyond measure
Friends who amaze me
Wise people who challenge me
Eternal Life
Love
Peace I can't explain
Freedom

It's as if He's told me... I think I'll take you out to your favorite restaurant.  After that we'll go see your favorite movie and then we'll grab some German chocolate cake at the Dessert Factory (my favorite dessert).

It's not at all what I deserve.  But, this is what He's given me.  It's taken being broken to see it... but I wouldn't trade it at all because it took being broken to open my eyes to grace.

And it's why I still, even after over 20 years of being a follower of Christ I still get giddy when I sing certain songs, read certain passages, and get stunned by the amazingness of my Savior.

I love grace.  I love it a lot... and I'm glad to have a lot of it.  I hope that, too, that others will see it in my life and say...

"I want your God."

That would make me happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again