Growing Up without Growing Old

I'm about to turn 29 again in a week.  I can't tell you how many times I've turned 29, but I can tell you that I'm turning 29 again in a week ;-)

It seems to me that birthdays and New Years are good times to reflect on your life over the past year and assess where I am, where I want to be, and what I would like to change.  It also marks another year of growing into maturity and wisdom, which I hope that I can look back at the last 29 and say that I grew wiser and closer to Christ in the process.

But I never want to "grow old."  I think that there's a difference there.  Growing up is maturing, learning how to make wiser choices, reflecting more of who God designed me to be.  Growing old is settling, thinking that I've learned it all, experienced it all, and have no more need to grow.  This is pretty undesirable for me... and honestly I can't imagine that it'd be very desirable for anyone.

For starters, we are living in a world created by an infinite, unimaginable, and incredibly glorious God who the Bible itself says made this stuff for our enjoyment (1 Tim 6:17).  And travelers, artists, and explorers alike know that there is always something new to learn, something interesting to discover, and interesting people to meet.  What's really impressed me lately reading the letters of Paul is his incredibly rich network of relationships that he cultivated on his travels and the fondness he felt when he remembers the gatherings of believers in the cities he writes to.  He stayed true to the Gospel and his mission, but he never settled in reaching out to people, which I find admirable.  Read the last chapter of Romans and you get a sense of the value Paul placed on his "peeps" in the churches he worked hard to build.

In addition, "growing old," I sometimes think is to "settle" in my relationship with Jesus Christ.  Given what I know about relationships and how amazing HE is, I cannot think of a more tragic thing than to put God into a C-Dub sized box and to not allow Him to work outside of that box.  I never want to lose my sense of awe for God.  Heck, look at Moses - his awe for God grew by leaps and bounds and he was over 80!!!!  So if it's good enough for ol' Mo, then at 29 it should be good enough for me.

So - you may ask... that's great and all but how are you going to do it?

  • One goal I have is, whenever I travel for business that I attempt to do at least one interesting "local" thing in the city I'm working in.  This isn't always possible with a busy schedule but so far I've managed to work something in.
  • I tried a new food this year... Vietamese Pho.  I'm starting to get a little hooked. 
  • I'm serving with a great group of individuals  (nicknamed BEST KENYA TEAM EVER) on a 410 Bridge Service Mission trip to Nggamba, Kenya in June.  I'm pumped about this trip for a couple of reasons... First, I'm excited about getting to assist a region of the world that desperately needs basic necessities like basic medicine, education, and clean water to have their needs met.  Second:  I want to see God work in this community as I've heard from many of my friends who have gone out to Nggamba before me.  I'd love to tell you more, and have you support me in this work if you're inclined :-)... check out my 410 Bridge "site" to read a little more.  https://www.my410bridge.org/pledge/index/chriswillis96... oh yeah... I'm not looking forward to that Yellow Fever shot but I suppose that's part of the adventure. 
  • I'm sure that there are others... basic spontaneity has it's perks :-).  But that's a little snippet.
So - what are you doing to be sure that you never "grow old" in your growing up?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace