What's pushing your worship button?

Last Thursday, I was out at Taco Mac with a buddy of mine watching a little hoops action  It's the opening weekend of "the dance" as you know, and Thursday was a great day to see a slew of upsets.  Because it was a "school night," we didn't watch any of the late games, but made sure to see the end of Washington vs. Marquette.

At the end of the game, the entire place erupted when the Huskies put in the game winning basket with less than 3 seconds left to play.  We were pumped.... and for most of us it wasn't likely even OUR team (I'm watching MY team play in a few hours).

After getting my juices going from some great basketball action, this thought popped in my head...

You know, this is what worship looks like.

A few weeks ago, the kids in UpStreet learned about the story where David danced before the LORD when they brought the Ark of the Covenant back to Jerusalem.  King David made a fool of himself, not a kingly thing, because in his heart he was thrilled that the Ark, which was literally where the presence of God resided in their world, was back among the people where it belonged.  It was as if he was a Duke fan who just witnessed the Christian Laettner shot vs. UK for the first time.  God showed up... God revealed Himself... and David's reaction was reckless, abandoned worship.

I got to thinking, we all get our "worship buttons" pushed.  I know I do.  When A&M wins a big game in a dramatic fashion (I'm hoping this afternoon's game is pretty locked down and not so dramatic though :) ).  When a girl that I really like says "yes" when I ask her out.  When I finish a big race (or complete my registration for a big race as I just did for the Peachtree).  When I am out hiking and see magnificent beauty in creation.  You know it when it's there... because the emotion flares up and you can't help but get fired up.  When we see something great (or wrong) happen around the things that we value a lot, it causes a reaction, doesn't it?

These things are all well and good, but I have to ask myself:  "Does God push my 'worship button' more than these things?"

Do I get that feeling, as David did, when God shows up in my life?  He is absolutely greater and more worthy of worship than college sports, nature, and girls combined.  And it's a wonder to me sometimes, considering how much He's done for us, that our churches lack the energy that is at every Georgia Bulldogs football game on a given Saturday.  If our God has moved heaven and earth to rescue His lost creation, including you and I, how come we aren't more jazzed in our worship experiences?

I can't talk on a blog quite about how Jesus has rocked my world, but He has... and I love it.  I honestly don't "get" how you can be in the presence of God and not be moved.  But that's me.  I've experienced the grace of God firsthand and I really believe that when you truly do you can't help but be unguarded in your worship.  It's actually pretty cool... I won't lie.

This was my thought for the week.  So, I'll ask you....

Is God pushing your worship button?

If not, what is?

Because we are all created to worship something.  When it (or he/she) pushes your worship button, you'll know what it is :-).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace