Knots

In 2 days and 1 morning, I will be making my way to Nashville for my third half marathon.

Seems crazy, doesn't it?  It was only less than 3 years ago that I thought my running career may be over.  But praise God it is not.  In fact, I have two race metals from previous Rock-n-Roll events, and I'll be going after a third at the Country Music 1/2 this weekend.  

But there's been one catch.  

A week and a half ago, I started to develop some tightness in my right leg.  The kind of tightness, as I found, that is pulling on my knee and making running a pain.  Not fun.  As a result, I scheduled a couple of appointments with the incredible sports massage therapist that helped me recover from my achilles tendonitis injury last Fall.  This miracle worker, Sara (who works with players from the Hawks and Falcons) is freakin' incredible and knows how to get these things worked out.

So today after work I was on the table and "the spot" (that pain in the gluteus maximus that is pulling at my knee) is being worked on... and all of the sudden I have this sudden pain sensation!  OW!  She hit a knot... and then another knot... and then another knot.  It hurt... a lot.  And given that I have a race to run and a leg to heal... guess what I did.

Keep it coming.  I need these knots gone.  I'll deal with the pain.  And yes, it was very uncomfortable.

And right now I'm sitting down, writing this blog, and feel like I have a brand new leg... because when the harm was being worked out and it was painful, I didn't make the therapist stop.

And healing happened.

Come to think of it... that's kind of how those deep areas of our souls (if we're honest) really eventually get healed.  We let someone into our lives... and our pain, dysfunction, sin is hit...

And instead of pushing back and telling our friend to stop, shut our lives to the truth that sets us free... 

We endure the pain.

We work through it.

And we let our friend dig deeper.  

We repent... and keep repenting... Our friend doesn't let us off.

And eventually, through a lot of work... a partnership with God and our trusted friends...

We are healed.

And it makes all of the pain of exposure and revelation worth it. 

But first, we have to let them work the knots. 

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend" - King Solomon.

Do you have a faithful wound-er in your life?  Are you letting them in to work? :-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again