What would it look like?

"When you are well prepared for your sermon, you cite a variety of sources, but when you aren't well prepared, you just quote CS Lewis." 

The above quotation was something that I read in the Tim Keller book I am currently reading.  It was something that a guy that regularly listened to him preach observed about him.  When he explained "why this is so," Tim recalls that when he was first saved he really poured over a lot of CS Lewis's books, essays, and letters to the point that he was so familiar with Lewis that whenever impromptu situations arose, something of Lewis's thoughts, sayings, or philosophy would just naturally come out.  It was in fact, a default.

And then he tied it to something that really caught me.

What if that was true of us and Jesus?

Do we know Jesus, what he would say, do, react... this intimately that when life throws us a curveball that what comes out of our lives just looks like Jesus?  When we are squeezed, or when we don't have time to "think about our response," would people look at us with curiosity and say, "that sounds like something Jesus would {say, do, think}.

A month from today (actually a little less), I'm about to do a Daniel Fast with Danielle.  We're actually waiting till my race later this month is over because it would just stink for me to be training for a half and be unable to have pasta.  But back to that, I've really been thinking about how God wants me to seek Him in those three weeks, and I think I know now.  So here it is... I'm also going to keep the TV off for that three weeks and pour into the gospels, and into Crazy Love, and pray over what I read and ask God to transform the areas of my life that don't look at all like Jesus or the lives of the Disciples that literally turned the world upside down in the first century.  Sounds lofty, yes... but I do believe God has big dreams for his people and those dreams are opportunities for us to offer ourselves to him and let him work.  So that's what I want to do.

Perhaps as a result, maybe someone may accuse me of defaulting to Jesus.  Wouldn't that be cool?  :-)

Comments

G$ said…
Good thoughts Chris
SethC said…
Tim Keller's books are pretty much packed with Lewis... But I think you're on track with being so familiar with Christ that he becomes our default. That'd be awesome. And I commend you for taking time away from the TV, that has really helped me focus on my walk in the past.

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace