What some guys (like me) will do to entertain kids

This past Sunday, I took on the microphone of the Upstreet host role for the first official time.   For those that don't know about Upstreet, the "host" in the large group environment is the person that tees up the Bible story with a humorous situation, connects with the kids from the stage, and makes the large group time a very engaging environment for the kids.   

I serve as a substitute because it's a regular job (which is filled across the environments right now) and my "regular job" at Upstreet is as a member of the worship team.  So, this was my first time to sub and I wanted to introduce myself to the kids in a way that would entertain and make it somewhat memorable.  So, when the regular hosts introduced themselves they brought up their favorite food to talk about...

I did the same.

Now, I grew up about 2 1/2 hours from Cajun country (SE Louisiana) and LOVE Cajun food... and have also been to Nawlins a number of times.  As you can imagine, I love Tabasco sauce and will literally put it on almost anything (anyone that has gone to brunch with me knows that I always ask for it to splash on my eggs).  It is the "make it spicier and more flavorable" condiment :-).  So, I brought a bottle of it for the kids... and opened up the intro by talking about my love for Tabasco, how I put it on almost everything (fish, pasta, pizza, eggs, etc.) and then said... "I love it so much, I think I could drink it straight..."

... and then I did.  Right in front of them.  

Don't worry, I am a trained ameteur... I practiced at home when I was rehearsing my script.  So, I knew I wasn't going to throw up or anything. 

By the way, don't try that at home unless you are acclimated to spicy food.  

It was worth it... the kids were engaged.  My mouth was burning.  And when I got off stage my sinuses started to act up.  As you know, Tabasco sauce has a lot of vinegar so I started sniffling... oh no!  It didn't last too long, but it was annoying.  

So, I have one more room to introduce myself in... next time I'm bringing some Kleenex into the green room.  

The things you do for ministry :-)

chris <><

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace