Rich Person Problems

Yesterday, the "check engine" light of my car came on, and begrudgingly I took my car into my dealer (they're pretty good and don't overcharge) to get checked out.  Given that it was time for a number of "maintenance items" to hit on my car, a 9 year old (2004) Honda Accord, I decided to go ahead and get them knocked out.  I really enjoy not having a car payment and this car has at least 3 more good years left in it (and I'm pretty frugal).

Turns out, they weren't able to get everything turned around today so I ended up getting a loaner (and for grins I did ask them what they would offer for a trade in... don't worry, very little chance I'm going to give up the margin I have right now).  Guess what I got, a CR-V!  That'd be the car I want to get when I eventually get a new car (I am big fan of mini-SUV crossovers and looked long and hard for one when I got my Accord).  This car rocks.. it definitely hasn't dissuaded me from the desire.  And I posted on my Facebook wall that I felt that they were tempting me.

In small group, we've been talking through the Be Rich series that Andy's been preaching on lately... and one of the guys in my group commented on my post "Rich person problem!" which I laughed as soon as I saw it because I pledged in group to say this whenever I have rich person problems (like being tempted to trade in my running car for a newer shinier, cooler one).  Andy's whole point in the series is that we (and I mean... all we... not just those rich fat cats that Obama wants to tax the crap out of) as Americans are rich compared to most people living in the world today.  In fact (and I say this because I've read this verbatim out of the discussion guide to my group for 3 weeks straight), if you make $45,000 or more a year you are in the top 1% of wage earners in the world.  That's right, $5000 below the median income average income in America would be filthy rich in many parts of the world.  Having been to Africa, I can tell you that no truer thing has ever been said.

So - instead of complaining about all kinds of stuff that would be laughable in the third world, or even in many parts of Europe, why don't we look at our "Rich People Problems" as the "rich Americans" that we are, and give gratitude to God for blessing us (because it's all his money, really) and see the incredible responsibility that we have to give much because we have been given much.   Paul told Timothy to tell rich Christians to be rich in good deeds and to be willing to share (1 Tim 6:17-18), and to see our material blessed-ness as what God sees it... an incredible responsibility.

So, in light of that, and my tendency as many "rich people" like me to be ungrateful, I talked about in my group about laughing at my rich person problems as a way to get me out of thinking about myself and into thinking about how to be a blessing to others.  So, for your reading enjoyment... a few of the RPPs I had this week:

  • The check engine light in my car came on and I had to take it into a mechanic to check it out.
  • Not to mention.. that I had to miss the gym today because of it.
  • I was late to a sports massage appointment because of traffic
  • My cat (whom I have as a companion) is bugging me for treats when I get home.
  • I am dreading getting up early to run the Jingle Jog tomorrow morning
  • The Christmas party I'm going to tonight is in a place that will likely require I pay for parking
  • I'm flying out to San Mateo for Marketo training next week and am going to be working hard to wrap up a bunch of projects so I can be dedicated to my time there.
  • Last weekend flew by way too fast.
  • I was initially not happy that my friend Robert picked Macaroni Grill as the restaurant choice before the Singles Rockin' Christmas party last Sunday, but was happy afterwards (I don't really like chain restaurants)
  • I really need to eat in because I have food in my fridge that will go bad if I don't cook it
  • What's my iTunes password again? 
  • I can't believe those stupid ads on Facebook!!!
  • I'm only able to take a 5 day weekend for Christmas because I burned all of my vacation for Thanksgiving.
  • I had to fast Tuesday morning to go get my physical at the doctor's office.  I hate fasting.
By the way, if you don't get why those are RPP's, please comment and I'll explain :-).  But you get the point, most of the stuff that we (at least we Americans) get all worked up about are really problems that we have because we are a rich country and rich people.  

Does that make you grateful?  It should.  

Does that make you realize that you and I have a responsibility to be good stewards and to be rich toward others?  I hope it does.  

Because for reminders, I have to be honest and say that... I have plenty of rich person problems. 

Like... I'm late getting ready for my next (5th...seriously) Christmas party to write this blog.  Aaaaa... time to move!  :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace