Texas vs. the South

I have had a number of debates with my friends in Atlanta about Texas and how it is not a part of "The South."  Now, most of the folks that debate that Texas is part of the South have never been to Texas, which I understand.   But for those of us that didn't grow up in the greatest State in the Union, I feel compelled to set the record straight and provide a convincing argument that Texas is Texas, and the South is the South.

So I give you the "Texas vs. 'The South'" argument folks:

1.) State Flags
In the South, most Southerners do not see their state flag displayed much at all outside of government buildings.  In fact, the University of Georgia flag is more popular and prominent than the state flag.

In TEXAS... the State flag is EVERYWHERE, and can in fact be seen from several car dealers in sizes larger than most Mack trucks waving over the interstate.  In addition, the Texas state flag is flown at the same height as the American flag.  It's the only state with the right and the moxie to do that.

2.) Size
The distance on I-10 between Orange, TX and El Paso, TX is longer than the distance on I-10 between Orange, TX and Jacksonville, FL.  When you've hit mile 757 on I-10, you've only got another 100 miles to go before you get into the next state.

3.) Holidays
Texas has it's own Independence Day (March 2nd - we also celebrate our victory over Santa Ana at San Jacinto on April 21st, so we really have two holidays, not just one :) ).  Is there a uniquely Southern holiday?  I've lived here for over 4 years and haven't found one yet.  Although, every Texas Independence Day all of my fellow Texas Aggies (Whoop!) in Atlanta will get together for Muster.

4.) Peanuts
Texans DO NOT boil our peanuts.  That's gross ;-)

5.) Barbeque
One thing that really amuses me about Southern BBQ places is the complete emphasis on the pig.  I can't tell you how many BBQ's in the South that have a sign with the logo of a smiling pig; as if he really doesn't know that he's the main thing on the menu.  I think I may start a Southern BBQ somewhere with a smiling pig logo with a voice balloon hovering over it saying "Eat Me!" - because isn't what that smiling pig on the BBQ sign really saying?  Now, don't get me wrong... pulled pork is some good stuff and it's what Southern BBQ is all about.

Texas barbeque is all about BEEF, and lots of it.  You haven't had real Texas barbeque unless you've had slow mesquite smoked beef brisket that is softer than butter and melts in your mouth.  It is one of the world's great foods, and it's hard to find anything like it outside places such as Driftwood, Luling, Lockhart, or Taylor, Texas.   Let's also not forget the smoked sausage.  This doesn't exist in a Southern BBQ and is one of the staples in a fine Texas smokehouse.

6.) Food
A great Southern cook will pride themselves in the amount of grease they apply to a meal.  Having a meal at a great "Southern" restaurant will offer lots of butter, fried chicken, and rich biscuits.  And yes, it tastes GOOD.  I won't lie.  Southern cooking can motivate me to work out more than anything else. :-)

A great Texas cook will pride themselves in the amount of HEAT they apply to a meal.  If you don't believe me, you haven't been to a Texas chili-cookoff.  If you (as a Southerner) do, make sure to bring plenty of water.  You'll need it :-).

7.) Football
a. High School Football:  Across the State of Texas, more people will flock to a Texas H.S. football game on a Friday night than will attend all of the SEC home games on a given Saturday.

b. College Football:  Okay, the South does have better college football than we have.  I will put a Texas A&M or t.u. game up there with any SEC game atmosphere, but I haven't yet been to a UGA or Auburn game and I challenge any of you to show me the SEC world and prove to me that your college football actually can top our college football.

c. Pro football.  The Dallas Cowboys have been to more Super Bowls than the New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Carolina Panthers... Combined!  And they have more Super Bowl trophies than these guys too.  Also, can anyone tell me who Matt Ryan is dating?  Uh... probably not.  Tony Romo (who's no Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman)... that's another story.

I could probably go on with more... now South, don't be jealous.  It's okay.  You can't help it that we rock.  You're pretty cool... I live in the ATL (and wear my Texas flags and eat my jalenpenos proud) and you've got some cool things going for you.  I like trees, you have better beaches.  North Georgia hiking is really awesome.  I won't lie.  I even like grits now (shock/horror).  But please don't try to prop up your standing by including Texas in the club.  We really don't want to be in the club... we're our own country and we love it.  When you're that good and people outside of the U.S. know TEXAS but not any other state.. you can strut a little, even if you've got Texas blood and are living in the South now.

I'll finish with a little bit of the State song... btw, how many Southerners' know theirs?  (or play it before their college football games... like we do at Texas A&M)

Texas our Texas
All Hail the Mighty State
Texas our Texas
So wonderful, so great

Boldest and grandest
Withstanding every test
Oh Empire wide and glorious
You stand supremely blessed

God bless you Texas
And keep you brave and strong
That you may grow in power and worth
Throughout the ages long

btw - I didn't have to Google that.. I know it by heart ;)

Comments

Josh Adams said…
I was born in Arkansas and raised in Georgia; my mother's family is from South Carolina (she herself was raised in Florida) and my father's family is from Mississippi (he himself was raised some in Mississippi and some in New Mexico). So I'm definitely a Southerner. However, I have a special love for Texas because my parents met there, my dad went to college there, and all of my dad's family lives there (and has for years)--so with our family and many friends being there, we go a lot. And because I go a lot, I do know what you're saying is all true, Chris. Well, except the part about Texas being better--I think the cooking alone undercuts that argument: I can't stand spice and I LOVE Southern food. Personally, I think Texas is wonderful, the South is wonderful--there's no better, they just are in fact different. I do, however, think that most Southerners acknowledge that Texas is different. As for considering it part of the South, I actually think that's fair: Texas earned that (yes, earned it--if you want to see it as being saddled with it, then fine) by being a part of the Confederacy. You can after all be a part of the South and be distinct--that is to say, the South is not as homogeneous as you make it sound: for instance, Cajun people in Louisiana will take umbrage with your lumping their rather spicy cooking in with the rest of the cooking in the South. Perhaps we can just say that Texas is a particularly distinct part of the South. You don't have to like it, but I'm sorry: the rest of the country isn't going to acknowledge any states other than the disconnected Alaska and Hawaii getting their own regions. So if you have to pick a region--and I'm telling you that you do, whether you like it or not--aren't you going to pick the South?

Incidentally, boiled peanuts are indeed Southern, but I'm given to understand that they are not common everywhere within the South. And incidentally, we boiled peanut lovers contend your assessment that Texas wins on the peanut front is just plain wrong.

Finally, we must talk of Florida: although certain pockets of the South (such as northern Virginia near DC) are really not much Southern, it is only really in Florida that vast areas of the state are not Southern. Florida is such a tricky state: there's so much good South in it, but the area that is (ironically) the southernmost part is just a whole different world. And though I stand by my comment that you can be part of the South and be distinct, I have to put my foot down when it comes to Little Cuba and Little New York--South Florida just simply doesn't count as the South! I enjoy South Florida very much, but that's not the South.

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

Issac, the Patriarch of Peace