What's the deal with this song?

In my newly found rash of morning workouts, I went to spin this morning over at the Perimeter LA Fitness.  I really enjoyed the class and the music mix that the instructor had going on.  It was a lot of classic rock songs that I was really jamming out to (including that "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" song that always reminds me of Bill Clinton... I even liked that one ;-) ).  As we get to the end of the classic-rock inspired sweat fest, we finish hard with....

Kelly Clarkson - you know the song. 

Yes.  "Since You Were Gone." 

All of the sudden, I found the estrogen in the room rise.  Don't get me wrong it's a good workout song... most of these "angry chick songs" seem to be.  I couldn't escape it... I was on a stationary bike... I couldn't peddle faster to get away.  I also noticed a couple my fellow dudes in the other side of the room flashing the "I can't believe this..." look when the song started playing.  In fact, I think I had to grunt a few times after my workout to get that beat out of my system.  I think it's all gone now. 

But what's up with that song?  Obviously you could tell that the spin instructor was female by that obscure song selection... it didn't mix at all with the rest of the set but it was there.... but oh yes it was there. 

I think that Kelly Clarkson has cashed in on the official "angry girl song" of the year 2009.  Perhaps it will also be known as the most overplayed gender-specific song of the decade but we'll see.  The telling tale of the tape was at LDR when Eddie Kirkland played a set of "break up songs" - a mixture of "angry chick songs" and "dude I don't care let's go shoot some animals" songs.  When they played "Since You Were Gone" - the room, split guys and girls, was completely up and energized on the female side of the room.  On the guys' side... all butts in seats.  A couple of dudes stood up at the beginning, looked around, and quickly sat down :-)

Wise move. 

Crap.  That song is stuck in my head again.  Maybe I need to play me some "Chicken Fried" a la Zack Brown Band to neutralize it.  Good idea?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it time to drop the "Jesus" of the Chosen?

After the Red Sea: A redeemed people that didn't trust (or love) their God (Exodus 16-17)

The B(C)S Strikes Again